Located in Phase 5- Bahria Town, Islamabad; Cafe Retro House is among the very few pleasant dining places in town.
With retro-graffiti on the walls and an immaculate interior of vibrant colors; the ambiance grows on you. Next best thing is their interesting menu with Celebrity names & song lyrics.
I tried their “Mini Me”; which was actually grilled chicken in tarragon sauce served with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables. It was undoubtedly a good pick. The fresh “Mint Margarita” was equally amazing and refreshing.
Besides food, Retro House also has exclusive mini-cinemas where they offer movie-on-demand @ PKR 600/- per person. However, a minimum of 8 persons is required and you have to call in for reservations.
As well as making your food taste delicious, a dose of apple cider vinegar a day may also keep the doctor away. Use of vinegar is so much crucial in our daily lives, you will realize also after reading this piece.
Used as a folk remedy for thousands of years, apple cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial for a selection of ills. Researchers have discovered that English cider apples in particular have high levels of phenolics and are looking into whether these antioxidants, which are said to ward off strokes, heart disease and cancer, can be passed on to cider drinkers.
Regular use of cider vinegar is believed to maintain the body’s PH balance and aid general wellbeing. It contains natural malic acid which is important in fighting toxins and also corrects the body’s acid and alkaline levels. Fifteen ways cider vinegar can be put to use are listed below:
1. USE OF VINEGAR HELPS YOU LIMER UP: Arthritis is associated with the formation and hardening of cid crystals in the joints and tissue. A regular use of apple cider vinegar is said to dissolve these crystals into a form whereby they can be flushed from the body. Many people who used it for arthritis four times a day reported that it slowed down the progression of the disease.
2. CLEAN WITHOUT CHEMICLAS; CLEAN WITH VINEGAR: You can use vinegar to scrub up kitchen worktops, bath tubs, windows and so forth – it will cut through grease and leave surfaces hygienic and sparkling. It will also make your taps and sink shine.
3. USE VINEGAR TO LOOSE EXCESS POUNDS: Many people swear that apple cider vinegar really help weight loss, claiming that it makes the body burn calories better, reduces the appetite and gets the entire metabolism working at top efficiency. It is also claimed that vinegar can be used to assist the body in digesting rich, fatty and greasy foods, by breaking them down into more absorbable form.
4. VINEGAR CAN BE USED TO CURE AN INFECTION: Most fungal or bacterial infections will retreat when tackled with a dose of vinegar. When mixed in equal parts with surgical spirit and dropped into the ear, it may help to cure swimmer’s ear (never drop anything into the ear if there is any chance that the eardrum is ruptured). You can also use vinegar as an effective treatment to scratch or sore by simply soaking your feet in vinegar.
5. CURE SORE THRAOT WITH VINEGAR: Apple cider vinegar is a trusted folk remedy for sore throats. Some people recommend gargling with a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of warm water. Others use a homemade cough syrup by combining equal amounts of honey and cider vinegar and stirring or shaking until dissolved.
6. HELP YOUR HEART WITH VINEGAR: The potassium found in apple cider vinegar is also beneficial to the heart and the pectin soaks up moisture in the body, including fats and cholesterol, which are then excreted instead of being reabsorbed. The amino acids contained in apple cider vinegar neutralize some of the harmful oxidized LDL cholesterol. When you use vinegar in your food, it is a natural prevention towards heart diseases.
7. USE VINEGAR TO BANISH NASTY WHIFFS: the high acid content in the vinegar gives it a sharp scent that can override less lovely odors. A vinegar rinse will banish the smell of smoke from clothes, freshen a baby’s nappies when added to the final rinsing water or expurgate unpleasant pongs from armpits or feet. Use a small bowl of vinegar and leave it in the corner of a room to remove unwanted household odors.
8. SETTLE YOUR STOMACH WITH VINEGAR: If you suffer from indigestion because of a lack of stomach acid, use a teaspoon of vinegar after meals. On the flipside, if your problem is too much stomach acid, it won’t be any help and will probably make things worse.
9. BECAUSE YOU’RE WORTH IT! As an acid, vinegar reacts with chemical bases to produce neutral H2O (water) along with some salts. When spread on skin or used as a final hair rinse, it can spirit off soap, shampoo or conditioner residue, leaving it super-cleansed and, in the case of hair, as smooth and shiny as glass. You can use vinegar to help reduce dandruff and calm an itchy scalp.
10. BE FIRST PAST THE POST WITH USE OF VINEGAR: A build up of lactic acid is the reason why muscles feel sore and stiff after exercise. But by using apple cider vinegar in your diet, you could assist your body in breaking down the acid crystals, making it much easier for them to be flushed out the body. If you’re feeling a little sore after a particularly strenuous workout, an instant reliever is to relax in a warm tub with some apple cider vinegar added to the water.
11. USE VINEGAR TO YOUR BODY OF THOSETOXINS: Thanks to the malic acid it contains, apple cider vinegar can assist the detox process as a natural cleanser and detoxifier for the body. Malic acid is important for fighting body toxins and also corrects the body’s acid and alkaline levels. Drink a dessertspoonful mixed into a glass of water three times a day.
12. USE VINEGAR TO CLEAR YOUR HEAD: The reputation of apple cider vinegar as a headache cure has its origins in folk medicine rather than science. However it has been found that people have slightly more alkaline urine when suffering from a headache- and with this apple cider vinegar could be effective since it will assist in bringing your body’s acid level back into sync. The inhalation of cider vinegar could also assist with a headache- just add a splash to boiling water in a big pan, removing it from the stove and carefully inhaling the vapor.
13. USE VINEGAR TO KEEP YOUR PETS HEALTHY: A small dash of vinegar in your pet’s drinking water will deter fleas and ticks. It will also prevent those brown spots that appear on your lawn caused by your dog’s urine, and ‘tear stains’ seen on some breeds with pale coats. An apple cider vinegar supplement may also freshen your pet’s breath as it helps digestion and removes tooth tarter.
14. USE IT TO TAKE THE OUCH OF A STING WITH VINEGAR: Jellyfish stings, mosquito bites and wasp stings can be relieved with vinegar, which neutralizes pain-causing substances that get in the skin. It can also relieve the itching of hives: water it down slightly and dab it onto the skin with a cotton wool pad.
15. USE VINEGAR TO MAINTAIN STRONG BONES: The manganese, magnesium, silicon and calcium found in apple cider vinegar has been linked in sustaining bone mass, which is important in the fight against osteoporosis. Try it if you suffer from a calcium shortfall, have a problem with osteoporosis or if you are entering your postmenopausal stage, where a risk of bone loss could cause a problem.
Sinus problems, weight gain and asthma, dehydration can trigger a whole host of illnesses. Here’s how to keep your body hydrated and healthy with the right intake of water.
Every second of the day you are losing water from your body, it evaporates through the skin, is lost in sweat, urine, bowel movements and even every time you breathe out. This loss amounts to approximately two and a half liters of water per day. No wonder it’s so easy to slip into a state of mild dehydration.
So why we even need water? The key organs regulating water in the body are the kidney and the digestive tract. The walls of the small intestines and colon absorb water from food and drink and from there it enters the bloodstream. Blood is the body’s key transport system, delivering all kinds of things from energy in the form of glucose and nutrients to cells and picking up cell wastes (toxins) for disposal via the colon or bladder. If we are not taking in enough water, then the intestines have to divert more than it would like into the body, resulting in constipation and toxin build up. Likewise, toxins also concentrate in urine in the bladder, If there is not enough water coming in to trigger the urge to urinate frequently. This kind of toxic build up can lead to frequent toxic headaches. Yet the headaches can easily be cured by regularly drinking more water.
You also need enough water to prevent body fluids from becoming too thick. People who drink at least five glasses of water every day are more than 40% less likely to die from a heart attack than those who drink two or fewer a day. Extra water thins the blood, which makes it less likely to clot and clog a vital artery to the heart triggering a heart attack. Other conditions that may be exacerbated by thick fluids resulting from mild dehydration include sinus problems, middle ear infections, and asthma. This is because thick mucus in the lungs, ears or sinuses is congestive and stagnant mucus is prone to infection. Drinking more water cal also help dilute the stomach and liver juices, which may prevent ulcers and gallstones in those people prone to them. Bloating, puffy legs and ankles, can all be signs of water retention. Paradoxically, restricting fluid intake only worsens the problem, because the water starved body tries to hang on to more body fluid so it can do its work properly. So by regularly drinking more the body learns that its water needs are going to be met, and is happier to let go of excess fluid. The exceptions to this general rule are people with water retention and kidney problems. They should check with their doctors about fluid intake, as their kidneys may not be efficient at eliminating excess fluids.
Drinking plenty is a secret of efficient weight loss and maintenance, too. When you are trying to lose weight, the initial weight loss is mainly water so it needs replacing to prevent dehydration. You also need water to burn calories but as you are eating less food, you are getting water into the body, so you need to drink even more. Dehydration can actually contribute to weight gain because many people mistake the need for water for hunger. If you are well hydrated you may not feel so hungry. So if you are trying to lose weight, reach for a tap, not a treat! Back and joint pains could also benefit from drinking more. The gel like pulp inside the discs between the vertebrae of the spine and cartilage between the joints need to be well hydrated to stay plump and pliable, better cushioning and protecting the joints and spine from damage.
A well hydrated produces almost colorless urine. You should be able to achieve this by drinking six to eight glasses of water a day. If you do this for six weeks, people are likely to notice the difference in your skin and eyes; you should look and feel healthier and niggling health problems may disappear. Upping your water intake could well be one of the best health investments you make.